Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Obsession!

Okay - I have to admit stamping/scrapbooking and Splitcoast are my first obsessions, but I'm talking about my *other* obsession!

There's this awesome website that is run by National Geographic. It's called Pete's Pond. It is a pond in the middle of Africa with webcams on it and you can watch all the wildlife coming to the pond to drink. I have seen some other feeds from different sites where they take pictures every few seconds and update them - Pete's Pond is different - it is streaming video.

I got hooked on this thing last year and then they stopped it in December because the rainy season had come back to Africa and the animals wouldn't be coming to the pond as much. I have been faithfully checking every few days to see if they would start the video at the pond back up and lo and behold - we have contact! Within the last week or so, National Geographic has started the live feed again.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again! What I'm saying is - if at first you don't see any animals - don't give up! I have seen lions, crocs, zebras, elephants, hyenas, water buffalo, ostriches, gazelle - the list goes on and on. It is something that the entire family can enjoy!

So enough with the spiel Karen, where's the link? LOL, I'm sure that's what y'all are saying by now!

Here ya go - Enjoy!

Pete's Pond

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
Thank you so much for sharing the link to Pete's Pond! I am addicted already! I stayed up late last night just to see what the pond looks like at dawn. I got lucky and saw some animals on the first try!
I have always been in love with the animals from Africa, and I don't think I'll ever actually make it there. So Pete's Pond is like is a small window into their world.
Thank you again for sharing,
Kim Dent
St. Louis,Mo.